I’ve been rewatching house for like the 100th time.
I really enjoy the show
As i’m rewatching there are a few things that i have noticed and thought i would make up a short list both from what i have noticed and also some things being discussed on the sub-reddit.
Let me know how many of these you already knew
1. Hugh Laurie is also a writer (he’s written a novel called The Gun Seller), a musician (he plays a number of instruments) and rides a motorcycle
2. House’s character is strongly based on the fictional character Sherlock Holmes, particularly with his addiction to drugs and his desire to solve the insolvable. Dr House = Sherlock Holmes and Dr Wilson = Dr Watson
3. By season five Laurie was earning around $400,000 per episode, making him one of the highest paid actors on network television.
4. Hugh Laurie, who plays House on the show, is actually British. He’s starred in many British comedy films and television series’ but House is his first American television endeavor.
5. Olivia Wilde (Thirteen) is a vegan
6. Hugh Laurie’s own dad was a doctor, and he feels a twinge of guilt at “being paid more to become a fake version of my own father”.
7. Epps (Dr Foreman) and his brother started a rap group called “Wolfpak” in 1991.
8. Jennifer Morrison, who plays Dr. Cameron, is actually a blond.
9. Kal Penn’s (Dr Kutner) real name is Kalpen Modi, he says after he changed the name on his resume and photos his audition callbacks rose by 50%.
10. In season three House decided he wanted a change and so fired Australian Doctor Chase (Jesse Spencer), causing Dr Cameron (Jennifer Morrison) and Dr Foreman (Omar Epps) to quit. In season four he hired his new team including Foreman again, while Cameron and Chase became recurring characters still working in the hospital.
11. During Hugh Laurie’s audition, David Shore says that Bryan Singer, one of the executive producers, said, “See, this is what I want: an American guy.” Singer was completely unaware of the fact that Laurie is English.
12. In “Sports Medicine”, Bryan Singer (one of the Executive Producers of the show) plays the director who’s doing the anti-drug commerical in the very beginning of the episode.
13. Robert Sean Leonard (Dr. Wilson) played a student who commits suicide rather than becoming a doctor in the film Dead Poets Society.
14. In “Control”, the guy who can’t talk is named Mr. van der Meer. Garet van der Meer is also a producer of the show. I guess the writers figure they’re being clever and that nobody will notice something like that. But oh, how wrong they are.
15. Spencer (Dr Chase) and Morrison (Dr Cameron) became in engaged in December 2006 when he proposed in French on the Eiffel tower; however they called the engagement off five months later.
16. Robert Sean Leonard (Dr. James Wilson) starred in The Violet Hour with Scott Foley. Foley made a cameo appearence as a pro baseball player in “Sports Medicine”, an episode of House.
17. Hugh Laurie plays the piano, saxophone, slide and acoustic guitar and harmonica.
18. Hugh Laurie suffers from clinical depression. His bouts of depression leave him feeling pretty worthless and that even with all the success House has brought him and the fact he gives a pretty phanominal performance as him, Laurie feels he dosen’t deserve it. In fact he can often be seen on the set of House sitting on the pavement worrying what he’s done isn’t good enough.
19. Hugh’s full name is James Hugh Calum Laurie.
20. In “Fidelity”, House is watching TV and the credits roll onto the screen. One of the names is “Marcy Kaplan” who is supposedly a hair stylist. Marcy G. Kaplan is one of the producers of the show.
21. House’s character is strongly based on the fictional character Sherlock Holmes, particularly with his addiction to drugs and his desire to solve the insolvable.
22. The show has won 2 Golden Globes, another 28 wins and has had 66 nominations.
23. The hospital is based on a real hospital in Princeton, Princeton Hospital, the University Medical Center at Princeton.
24. The writers have real doctors at their disposal to help them write the scripts so it is all medically accurate!
25. Dr. House’s most famous line “Everybody Lies” was in fact used by another doctor about a year and a half before the pilot episode, in another medical show, the sitcom Scrubs (2001). Dr. Bob Kelso says “Everybody lies, Dr. Turk” in the season 2 episode My New Old Friend (2003), after Dr. Turk fails to prevent an old lady to drive home because she said she was fine enough to drive and that she had to pick up her grand kids.
26. Numerous times throughout the series, House mentions watching The O.C. (2003). In season four Olivia Wilde joins the cast as a series regular. She also played an recurring part during season two of The O.C. (2003). She played a bisexual in both series.